Thursday, January 5, 2017

Review: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

3.75 or 4 stars. There were a lot of things I really liked about it, but also a few things that I really didn't like. I really liked the characters and the diversity present in this story. I've rarely read anything by or about Mexican-Americans or with LGTBQ themes, so I really appreciated that. I believe it is very important to read books with diverse characters and themes and I am constantly striving to read more. I loved the family dynamic for both Dante and Ari's characters. Rarely do I read a YA book whose characters have parents that are actively involved in their children's lives and play and large role in the story. Although their relationships aren't perfect, there is a lot of love there and I really enjoyed reading about that. I was interested the entire time and kept wanting to know what else was going to happen.

I was a bit annoyed by the dialogue and some of the thoughts Ari had throughout the story. It often seemed contrived and like the author was trying a little to hard to be profound. I liked the writing, but it didn't feel natural to me. I just thought a lot of it was somewhat unrealistic. It reminded me somehow of a mix between The Outsiders and The Perks Of Being A Wallflower. Actually, like this book, I enjoy those books a lot, but they are not my all-time favorites.

Overall, I thought it was a very good book that made me think, even if some of it seemed contrived. I hear there is supposed to be a sequel, which I am not sure about. I thought it was a great standalone, so we'll see! I'm sure I will read it, but I hope it is just as good or better!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment