Friday, September 23, 2016

Review: The Mayor of Casterbridge

The Mayor of Casterbridge The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

3.75 stars. It's been a while since I read a classic, and I picked this one up on my mom's recommendation (technically I listened to it on Librivox . . .). I had a hard time deciding what to rate this one! On one hand, I enjoyed it and was engaged the entire time I was listening. Also, Hechard's character was fascinating! On the other hand, I was so incredibly frustrated with Henchard for pretty much everything he did, starting with giving his wife and child away right at the beginning of the novel. I mean, what a horrible, awful thing to do! I felt like I spent so much of the book thinking "No, no, no, no, don't do that!!" Also, I know it was the time they lived in, but all the referenced to "the weaker sex" and blatant sexism annoyed me. That said, Henchard was one of the most dynamic characters I've ever read about because he was so flawed and real. I think Hardy really wrote an incredible book. I will absolutely read more by him in the future!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment