Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Review: Anthem

Anthem Anthem by Ayn Rand
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.5-3.75 stars. I enjoyed it! All I'd heard about Rand's writing was that it was decent, but that her philosophy on life was not so good. Given that, I enjoyed this novella a lot more than I expected to. I still don't know much about Rand's ideas about life (I should probably research them just so I know what I am talking about), but I found the theme of Anthem interesting. I can see how the theme of the novel, taken to an extreme, could be problematic. It seems that she highly values individualism, and I wonder if her other novels have the same theme. The story itself though reminded me a bit of The Handmaid's Tale at least in that it was a dystopian society set in a future where everyone and everything is highly controlled. It was a very quick read and certainly held my attention! I probably will read more by her at some point.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment