Sunday, November 5, 2017

Review: Made You Up

Made You Up Made You Up by Francesca Zappia
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a very solid four-star read. I loved reading about the main character, Alex, and her journey as she deals with schizophrenia. She was a really unreliable narrator and honestly, even after finishing the book, I'm not entirely sure what was real and what was a part of her delusions. Still, she was likable and headstrong. She was unafraid to stand her ground and tell people what she thought (unless it related to her mental illness). She had a great group of friends and she dealt with her illness in what felt like and honest and authentic way. As far as I know, it is not an Own Voices novel, but I've listened to people who have suffered from visual hallucinations and schizophrenia (I'm not sure if it was diagnosed or not) who have said that Alex's experience spoke to their experiences as well. I liked that (view spoiler)
Overall, I really enjoyed this story. It was thoughtful, fun, and just the right mixture of serious and upbeat. I also just realize that Francesca Zappia wrote Eliza and Her Monsters and now I CANNOT wait to read it! I might read it right away actually because I own it and I have been looking forward to it. Actually, I'm going to go get it right now . . .

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment