Friday, July 6, 2018

Review: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondō
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I listened to this audiobook while cleaning, and it definitely helped motivate me to clean and get rid of more. It was a good book to listen to under the circumstances, but I feel like I could summarize the whole book in a few sentences here and you wouldn't miss much of it. Basically, the idea is that when cleaning, you hold each item you own in your hands and ask if it brings you joy. If if makes you happy, you keep it. If not, you get rid of it. She also recommends organizing by category rather than by room and moving from non-sentimental things to things that are harder to give away (i.e. from clothes to books to photographs). There. That is basically the whole book.

Of course she gets into a bit more detail about things like how to fold clothes to save room, the uselessness of many organizational items, and that sort of thing. However, the book could have been a lot shorter. Still, it was motivating to listen to and although it made me a little bit stressed, it probably did help me get rid of more while cleaning yesterday.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment