Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Review: I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban

I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I listened to the audiobook version of this, and I really enjoyed it! I was impressed by Malala's maturity, but I also appreciated her moments of immaturity. She did so much for her community and country, but she still discussed how she and her friend Moniba were constantly fighting and not getting along (much like most young teenage girls I know). These moments made her more human. I was also very impressed by her parents, especially her father, who has worked his whole life to promote education in very practical ways.

Malala narrated the prologue, but then an excellent, similar-sounding narrator took over. As an ESL teacher, it was fascinating to me to learn more about the Pakistani culture. I hope someday it is a place of peace both because the people there desperately need peace and because it looks and sounds like such a beautiful area. I looked up photos and it is breathtaking. I can't believe Malala has done so much and she is only 19. I'd love to meet her someday and I am eager to see what she does in the future.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment