Monday, October 31, 2016

Review: Carry On

Carry On Carry On by Rainbow Rowell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.5 or 3.75 stars. I love Rainbow Rowell's writing, but I read this to try to get out of a reading slump and it only partly worked. I was interested, but because I was still partially in a reading slump, I took too many breaks while reading it and kept loosing sight of the story. Once I got towards the end, it went very quickly and I was really drawn in. However, I had to get through 2/3 of the book before I got to that point. I think if I hadn't taken so many breaks from reading it, I'd likely feel differently. I was really glad that Rainbow Rowell wrote a book for Simon and Baz (I loved them in Fangirl!), but I think I liked Fangirl and Eleanor and Park better. I appreciated the diverse romance aspect of it, but I felt a little bit like I had missed a lot in the previous "books" (for those who aren't familiar, this book is sort of supposed to be the final book in a fake series that made an appearance in Fangirl). I appreciated getting Simon Snow's story, but I still felt like I was missing so much. Still, I loved the last third of this book and I always enjoy Rowell's writing. I know some complained that it was too similar to Harry Potter, but I didn't really think so. It was clearly inspired by "chosen one" narratives, but Rowell has her own voice and it was a very unique story. I can't wait to read more by her!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment