Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Review: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

4.5 stars. I wasn't sure if I should give it 4 or 5 stars in the official rating since my real rating is in-between (Please let us give half-stars, Goodreads!!), but I ultimately decided on 5 stars since I think it will stick with me and it is a Harry Potter book (mostly).

Overall, I really enjoyed this. I so love this world and these characters. It was neat to see what they looked like and how they related to each other twenty years later. I also loved some of the new characters, especially Scorpius. (Note: The spoilers ahead are very minor, but don't read any further if you want to be completely surprised by the book.) I was surprised that Albus ended up in Slytherin, but in the story it really made sense. I was glad to finally see more Slytherins that were both good people and more likable. The friendship between Albus and Scorpius was believable and deep. The only character I had trouble with was Ron. For some reason, he seemed a bit too goofy for me. I know he could be goofy in the books, but something felt slightly off about him. All the other characters, however, were exactly as I imagined them to be.

The flashbacks and seeing alternate realities was fascinating. It was so interesting (and terrifying!) to see what could have become of the world with just a few slight changes. The plot made sense for the most part, although I really wish I could have seen it unfold on a stage, as it was intended. It was great to be able to imagine it the way I wanted to, but since Rowling was so involved in the play's production, I wish there was a way to see it in person. London is a bit far though. :)

This isn't a full 5 stars for a couple of reasons. First, I didn't love the play format as much as I love the novel format. I just personally prefer reading novels to plays and I think that plays are really meant to be watched. Second, although this story was wonderful and exciting and brilliant . . . it didn't quite live up to the original novels for me. Of course I want more Harry Potter and I will be thrilled if she writes more in this world for any reason, but I just feel like it is hard to top the original ending of book 7. I loved this, but I loved the novels slightly more, resulting in the 4.5 instead of a full 5 star rating here. That said, I really, really, really enjoyed this!! I wish I hadn't read it so quickly because I know I won't get any more Harry Potter maybe ever again. I will re-read it, but it won't be the same. Any Harry Potter fan should definitely read it, and I suspect most people will enjoy it! I know I did.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment