Monday, July 29, 2019

Review: Palace Walk

Palace Walk Palace Walk by Naguib Mahfouz
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

More like a 3.75, but I'll round up to 4 stars. This was one of the books assigned to another group when I had my Middle Eastern literature class at Mercyhurst College (now University) with Dr. Rieger. I learned a lot in the class and have slowly read all the books that she assigned to other people (I got The Satanic Verses for this particular assignment). I think this was the last one I had to read!

There were things I liked and disliked about this book. I especially appreciated the relationships between the women and liked all three women a lot. I really disliked the father, especially how hypocritical and controlling he was. However, the people in the story felt really real to me. There were times when the story dragged a bit, but I can definitely see why Mahfouz was compared to Tolstoy! I'm a bit on the fence about whether or not to continue the series. I'm glad I finally got around to this one though!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment