Friday, February 2, 2018

Review: Enchantment

Enchantment Enchantment by Orson Scott Card
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a very enjoyable time-travel fantasy. I really liked the main female character and the powerful roles women played in the novel. The story was engaging, the characters were compelling, and there was a nice mix of humor and seriousness. The plot was also well-paced and creative.

I will say that although I really enjoy Card's writing, I am very concerned by some of his vocal views politically, particularly his views on homosexuality (voicing his opinion that laws against homosexual practices should remain on the books - see https://www.sunstonemagazine.com/wp-c...). After reading this book, I learned more about his positions and it is enough to make me wonder if I ever want to read more by him. Before learning about his views, I would have said "absolutely" without hesitation, especially since I loved Ender's Game as well. However, after reading what he has written on some of his political and personal views, I really don't know that I can (or that I'd be able to enjoy it in the same way).

My copy of this book was purchased at a book fair, and therefore he did not receive any support from my purchase, although perhaps my positive review of his novel is doing more than my purchase would have. I am certainly conflicted because although I really enjoyed the novel, I do not want to support his rather extreme views. I am not sure what the right course of action is here. I struggle with the question whether or not you can or should enjoy art by a problematic artist. I don't know the answer, but I had to at least share my concerns with this review. Did I enjoy the book? Yes, very much. However, my enjoyment was hampered by Card's comments, leaving me ultimately confused.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment