Thursday, June 29, 2017

Review: The Wrath & the Dawn

The Wrath & the Dawn The Wrath & the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

3.75 stars. This was a hard book to shelve! It's not quite fantasy and not really historical fiction. . . It was a very enjoyable retelling of One Thousand and One Nights. It kept my interest the entire time and definitely made me want to read the second, but it just felt like it was missing something to keep me from giving it a full 4 stars. I'm not even sure what, except that somehow it failed to connect to me emotionally. I can't get over Natalie Monroe's summary of the book:

"Shahrzad: I will kill Caliph Khalid to avenge my best friend!
Khalid: *eye smoulder*
Shahrzad: Lol, nah."

Yeah, that's basically what happens. Still, despite the ridiculousness of parts of the story, I enjoyed it. It was full of action and romance. It's been a long time since I've read a retelling of Shaharazad's story and this one is probably my favorite that I've read (To be fair, I've only read 2 or maybe 3 others, and that was a very long time ago). I plan to read the second one before I completely forget what happened in this one!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment