Friday, February 17, 2017

Review: The Name of the Wind

The Name of the Wind The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.5 stars. This was great! But I do think it felt very much like a very long introduction to the bigger story. I was engaged the entire time and it was much easier to read than a George R.R. Martin book (those are great too, just more dense). I enjoyed the characters and the university setting (once you got 200 pages in). You can't help but root for Kvothe and want him to be successful. You cheer for his successes and hope Ambrose gets what's coming to him. I don't think there was a moment I was reading that I felt bored.

I'm a little unsure of what I think of some of the characters. I'm not sure about Denna (the girl he's interested in/in love with very obviously from the beginning). There are moments I like her but other times I dislike how she plays with men and I tend to trust Kvothe's friends' opinions. I'm also curious about Bast. I liked him (view spoiler)

It was a good book to take my time reading. I never felt lost while reading it, even if I hadn't read it in several days. I am really excited about reading the next one, although I'm definitely intimidated by the size right now. I may read a few others before I get to it. I won't wait too long though, because I hear there's a TV/movie in the works and Lin Manuel Miranda is involved - Woohoo!! :) I do wish the series was completed though. I'm also curious about how the books are going to unfold from this point on. From what I understand each of the three books is supposed to be one night of Kvothe telling his story, but there seems to be a good story brewing in the present time (the third person parts) as well. I'm sure Rothfuss will tie everything together nicely, I'm just looking forward to seeing how he manages it. Overall, one of the best fantasy stories I've read in a while and I can't wait for more!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment