Monday, March 5, 2018

Review: The Amulet of Samarkand

The Amulet of Samarkand The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

One of the better middle-grade books I've read in a while! Great characters and plot - and an excellent narrator (I listened to the audiobook). One of the main characters, the djinni Bartimaeus, made the book. My favorite parts of the book were the parts that he narrated because he was so witty and hilarious.

My one complaint: There weren't enough women/female characters in the book. There were two and both were benevolent characters, but neither were really that important except in that what happened to them helped to push Nathaniel to make some of his decisions. I just wish that some of the magicians could have been women or that they had a larger role in the story.

However, despite that, it was an engaging and unique story. I will most likely pick up the second one! :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment